Thomas Brennan and Mary Jordan

Brennans in or from Manitoba, Canada

Thomas Brennan and Mary Jordan

Postby Chris » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:38 pm

I may have traced Patrick Brennan and Mary Ann Jordan's son Thomas to Portage La Prairie, Manitoba.

Thomas is listed on the 1851 Holland census with a birthdate of about 1843 in Ontario.

There is a birth record for a Margaret Antoinette Brennan in Dornoch, Ontario, 31 Mar 1883, with the parents Thomas Brennan and Mary Jordan.

in 1901 Thomas Brennan b 31 Mar 1843 and Mary Jordan b 7 Aug 1849 are living with several children, including daughter Margaret Antoinette b 31 Mar 1883. They are also there in 1911.

The other children seem to be:
James b Sept 1874
John J. b Dec 1875
Ginevra, b 17 Jan 1877
Martin, b 12 Dec 1788
Elizabeth, b 22 Jan 1881
Thomas, b 7 Jul 1885
Isabella, b 6 Dec 1887
Patrick, b 30 Dec 1889
Mary, b 5 Nov 1893

Margaret's birth records also mentions that at her birth Mary already had 6 children, 4 of whom were living.

The only fly in the ointment is her birth records lists Thomas' place of birth as Perth, Ontario. I don't know when Patrick and Mary Ann arrived in Holland Tp, although they were there by 1851.

Anyone with Brennans in Manitoba?

Chris
Chris
Site Admin

Perth, Lanark Co, and Thomas' son Patrick's wife.

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:40 am

Patrick Brennan was in Beckwith, Lanark County, from 1837 to at least 1842 per census and other records. Perth is the county seat. I think Thomas listing Perth might be like the Berkeley Brennans listing Owen Sound as their place of birth -- the closest big town.

I have just received an obituary for Armandine Brennan. Here is the transcription:

Mrs. P. (Armandine) Brennan

Suddenly on Thursday, January 31,1980 at the Lions Prairie Manor, Portage la Prairie, Mrs. Armandine Brennan, age 78 years, widow of the late Pat Brennan.

Prayers will be said on Sunday, February 3 at 8:00 p.m. in the Trimble Funeral Chapel. Funeral mass, celebrated by the Reverend Father Chris Soeterboek will be held on Monday, February 4 at 10:30 a.m. in St. John's Roman Catholic Church. Internment will follow in the family plot in Hillside Cemetery.

Mrs. Brennan was born in Pinewood, Ont. She moved to Portage la Prairie where she married Pat Brennan in 1934.

For the past eight years she had made her home at the Lions Manor. Mrs. Brennan was a faithful member of St. John's Roman Catholic Church. Predeceased by her husband in 1973, she is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Julia Richardson of Winnipeg; one sister, Mrs. Albertine Gauthier of Winnipeg and two brothers, Armand Dumoulin of Pinewood, Ont. and Eugene Dumoulin of Thunder Bay, Ont. Also two nephews, Sylvio Gauthier and Hubert Gauthier, both of Winnipeg.

If friends so desire, contributions to the Lions Prairie Manor, P.O. Box 610, Portage la Prairie would be appreciated.

These may also be left at the Funeral Chapel.

Arrangements are by the Trimble Funeral Chapel, Ronald Moffit, director.
Chris
Site Admin

Return to Manitoba